7.18.2010

INHALATIONS: USING ESSENTIAL OILS FOR HEALING

Happy Sunday!

So I've been under the weather for the past couple of days, and it's like a head cold/sinus something or other.  Whenever this happens to me, I always put together an inhalation using essential oils.  And since whatever I had seems to be going around, I thought I'd share with you guys what I personally do!  

So first, you need to get a large bowl (think large mixing bowl; I prefer using a glass bowl), a towel large enough to cover your head (hand towel or larger), boiling water, and your essential oils.  The essential oils to use are: eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary, and thyme.  Basically, these will not only help to clear up your stuffy head, but help to boost your immune system, which you really need when you're sick. 

Once your water is boiling, take your bowl and put about 5-8 drops of each essential oil into the bottom of the bowl.  Find a place to sit where you can sit (at a table, on the floor, etc) and have the bowl in front of you.  Put the bowl wherever you'll sit, pour the hot water over the essential oils, put the towel over your head and lean over the bowl of hot water.  The hot water hits the essential oils, creating a steam that will loosen everything up, so you'll want to be sure you have tissue next to you.  Be sure you do NOT have your eyes open when leaning over the bowl, as the essential oils can and likely will burn your eyes.  You'll want to sit and inhale deeply over the bowl for 15-20 minutes ideally.  You can either set a timer, or I listen to music. 

You'll feel SO much better after this!  But what if you don't have all of these essential oils? You're not going to go out and spend $30-$40 just to have these if you won't use them for anything else, right?  I actually offer a Cough/Cold blend in my Etsy shop that will allow you to buy them in a slightly diluted form, in a smaller vessel, so you don't have to spend so much money. 

I hope you all find this useful, and here's to breathing through the nose :)!

Natural Blessings - 

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment