Meditation is something that I personally use often to help keep life in perspective, figure out the best solutions to my problems, and generally relax and listen to my Higher Self. For anyone unfamilar with meditation, here's the definition used by Wikipedia: Meditation refers to any practice in which the practitioner trains his or her mind or self-induces a mode of consciousness in order to realize some benefit. I also am a firm believer and have experienced the benefits of keeping your chakras balanced and aligned. So why not bring the two together, and create a meditation that focuses on your chakras?
By keeping each of the chakras balanced, you help to create harmony in your life, through areas like sexuality, relationships, love, truth, and spirituality. When these are out of balance, challenges tend to arise. Here are some steps to follow to create your own chakra meditation:
- Find a comfortable position and location in which to meditate, so that you won't be distracted.
- Concentrate on your breathing. Take deep, slow breaths; this will allow your mind to focus on the task at hand.
- Begin at your root chakra, which is located at the base of your spine. Envision red (most often associated with your root chakra) and concentrate on this chakra and area of your body for a couple of minutes or as long as necessary. This will create a connection between you and the earth.
- Move to your sacral chakra, located in the pelvic bowl. Envision orange and remain at the chakra for a while. This will assist in creativity and self-assuredness.
- Next is the solar plexus chakra, located around the center of your stomach. Envision yellow & concentrate on this area for a few moments. This will help you align with your inner strength and power.
- Move on to the heart chakra, located near the heart, in the center of your chest. Envision green or pink and focus on this area for as long as needed. Keeping this chakra balanced helps you to experience and accept love of self and others.
- Move to your throat chakra. Envision blue and focus. Be sure you're still breathing in slow, deep breaths. Aligning this chakra helps you to speak your truth and feel heard.
- Your third eye chakra is located at the center of your forehead, between your brows. Envision indigo or purple, and breath deeply until you feel this chakra is balanced. This helps you to stay in tune with your Higher Self.
- The crown chakra, located at the top of your head, connects you to the Universe and your place in it. Envision either bright white or my personal favorite, a spectrum of color, as if you're holding up a prism to the sun. Remain focused on this chakra for a while.
- Let the energy flow out from your crown and down over your body. Once all chakras are aligned and balanced, you will envision all the chakras glowing, and spinning simultaneously.
Feel free to make any adjustments you need to make this practice work for you. If you envision the chakras as a different color than above, that's fine. It's more that you feel that connection; these are the colors I envision, and tend to be the generally accepted associations. Maybe you want to add some music to your practice. I recommend something along the lines of spa music, nature sounds, or music specifically created for chakra meditation (you can easily find these on YouTube and/or iTunes).
What other things to you do incorporate into your chakra meditations? Please comment below and share with us!