Prom is a time of glamour, extravagence, & the beginnings of an independent life, in many ways. But it can also be very costly and wasteful. Here are some tips to help you enjoy your prom, give back, and stay eco-chic!
- Chances are you’ll spend hundreds on a gown that you’ll only wear once, before it succombs to a moratorium in the back of your closet.
- DRESS SWAP. Get a group of girls together, possibly from different schools, and swap dresses, so everyone has something new & different to wear without spending any money.
- DONATE. Once you've worn the dress, you'll most likely never wear it again, so why not donate it to a teen who can't afford to buy one? You can do this at www.DonateMyDress.org.
- If you're on prom committee, discuss going local for centerpiece flowers, etc. You may even be able to work out some sort of local discount for corsages and boutiniers. You could also rent potted plants from a local nursery. Can't find anyone who will rent? If the school buys them, you could have a post-prom/day after prom service project where you plan them on school grounds or elsewhere locally.
- Share a ride! If you're all going to the same prom, why not carpool? This will save gas for everyone. Avoid the limo; they're expensive and serious gas-guzzlers. If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even choose to take mass transit. If nothing else, you'd have a great story to share down the road. ("Remember how we all took the bus to prom? It was so funny when ...")
There are alot of ways you can look fabulous and have a great time at prom without spending a fortune or creating alot of waste. What are some other ways you can think of to Green Your Prom? Post in the comments below!